Ubuntu Studio artwork question

Scott Lavender scottalavender at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 05:12:45 GMT 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Louie Queral <louiethecuban at gmail.com>wrote:

> I think you guys made some really good points I never thought of earlier.
> Although Ubuntu's forums are very large and sometimes overwhelming, they do
> a great job of dealing with a great amount of essential troubleshooting
> questions. Considering Ubuntu Studio is an official derivative of Ubuntu, I
> think asking them to reorganize the multimedia section of their forums to
> tailor to us shouldn't be too much to ask for.
>
> -Luis
>
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 3:41 AM, Eric Hedekar <afterthebeep at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 11:19 PM, Jussi Schultink <jussi01 at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> of Ubuntu, we need to make use of officially sanctioned areas. this isnt to
>>> say we cannot have our own, but that if possible, we should work with
>>> existing facilities. Second, by utilising the part of Ubuntu forums we have
>>> been given, we gain access to a lot more viewers, and thus a lot more
>>> possible contributors. If a decision is made that we need more room in the
>>> forums, or a different structure, I  am well familiar with the members of
>>> the forums council and can do the necessary liason work to make it happen.
>>>
>>> If you have time, please join our IRC channel and feel free to have a
>>> chat to us in realtime about it there.
>>>

>> Jussi, I personally greatly agree with your take on forums.  Maintaining
>> our own seems silly at best - we would also need to deal with errors of
>> general ubuntu, beginners, etc... in our own forum and there are some
>> excellent users within the Multimedia Production section.  I do think that
>> we could use a different category/organization on ubuntuforums.org  as
>> "Multimedia Production" has very little branding of our project.  In my
>> mind, the question is: What forum sections should we ask for?
>>
>> My personal opinion on that question is that "Ubuntu Studio" should become
>> a section similar to the "Development and Programming" section.  Within
>> that, there should be a sections on Audio, Video, Graphic Design, and
>> Gallery.
>>
>> It would be great if we could integrate the look of our forum sections
>> with our website, but I'm not sure how practical that is.
>>
>> -Eric Hedekar
>>
>> --

I don't know that I agree with everyone.

I think having forums, news, wiki, media (audio, video, graphics) galleries,
blogs, community suggestions/feedback, ubuntu studio planet (blog aggregate)
et al in a single location with a similar theme would provide a powerful
presentation.  One central place for all things Ubuntu Studio :)

I would imagine that this would be a powerful magnet actively attracting
people to it.

Hmmm, Ubuntu Forums.  I think they are a mixed blessing.  Yes, Ubuntu Studio
gets mixed exposure there but it also gets buried.  "Multimedia Production"
isn't very Ubuntu Studio-ish and confusing.  Even with a dedicated and
properly named forum I think Ubuntu Forums is overwhelming in scope, size
and numbers to really feel special or other than just another forum amongst
and overwhelmed by all the others to me.

As far as getting forums threads about non-Ubuntu Studio items...that
happens on IRC and mailing list already.  It's not like it isn't already
happening and they can be pointed at Ubuntu Forums (and maybe even an
appropriate thread).  I imagine this already happens with upstream and
Ubuntu-centric issues within the "Multimedia Production" forum already.

Someone also mentioned branding (or something similar) and being an official
derivative.  I noticed that KDE not only has their own wiki but also their
own forums.  Granted Ubuntu Studio doesn't have to community that KDE does
but I'm reminded of something I heard about the Rolling Stones.

Before they exploded in popularity, someone told the Stones that to be rock
stars they needed to dress and act like them.  They did and they became.  I
imagine that if Ubuntu Studio has the trappings of a mega-successful (is it
too Jono-ish to say "rock star"?) distro then more people might be
attracted.

Anyway, you have my thoughts, the bed will soon have my head.  Goodnight.

Scott Lavender