Ubuntu Studio artwork question

Eric Hedekar afterthebeep at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 08:41:47 GMT 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 11:19 PM, Jussi Schultink <jussi01 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 5:38 AM, Louie Queral <louiethecuban at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Honestly, I feel like the addition of an official Ubuntu Studio forum
>> (preferably separate from the messiness of the ubuntu forums) would be the
>> most efficient way to encourage involvement. The wiki's are great ways to
>> display user contributed artwork and such, but in my opinion, it acts as
>> more of a gallery rather than a station for discussion and further
>> development.
>>
>> Forums are quick to set up, free, and easy to maintain. I can see our
>> forum separated into different categories such as Development, Bugs,
>> Troubleshooting etc. However, in regards to art, the forum should be divided
>> into several subforums:
>>
>> -Logo Design
>> -Theme/Icon Design
>> -Website Design/Improvements
>>
>> Moderators will also stick threads that they feel are becoming popular, or
>> increasingly productive. This kind of structure will allow artists to not
>> only upload their work quickly and effectively, but also pass their work
>> through a medium that offers a community of critics.
>>
>> Forgive me if I sound intrusive, but I envision the future of Ubuntu
>> Studio as being a well-respected linux distro focused on multimedia
>> creation. A distro that offers artists, musicians, animators, and directors
>> the chance to create their work on an open-source platform that is stable,
>> efficient, graphically appealing, and simple. We really have a chance here
>> to continue developing something magnificent, and in order to do so, we need
>> a more tightly knit community.
>>
>> I agree forums are all that, but as an officially recognised derivative of
> Ubuntu, we need to make use of officially sanctioned areas. this isnt to say
> we cannot have our own, but that if possible, we should work with existing
> facilities. Second, by utilising the part of Ubuntu forums we have been
> given, we gain access to a lot more viewers, and thus a lot more possible
> contributors. If a decision is made that we need more room in the forums, or
> a different structure, I  am well familiar with the members of the forums
> council and can do the necessary liason work to make it happen.
>
> If you have time, please join our IRC channel and feel free to have a chat
> to us in realtime about it there.

Jussi, I personally greatly agree with your take on forums.  Maintaining our
own seems silly at best - we would also need to deal with errors of general
ubuntu, beginners, etc... in our own forum and there are some excellent
users within the Multimedia Production section.  I do think that we could
use a different category/organization on ubuntuforums.org  as "Multimedia
Production" has very little branding of our project.  In my mind, the
question is: What forum sections should we ask for?

My personal opinion on that question is that "Ubuntu Studio" should become a
section similar to the "Development and Programming" section.  Within that,
there should be a sections on Audio, Video, Graphic Design, and Gallery.

It would be great if we could integrate the look of our forum sections with
our website, but I'm not sure how practical that is.

-Eric Hedekar