Low latency kernel in Lucid

ttoine at ttoine.net ttoine at ttoine.net
Sat Feb 6 10:43:41 GMT 2010

Jussi Schultink a écrit :
> Hi all, I received the following from Alessio regarding the Low
> latency kernel. Please test and write to the kernel team so we can
> have this in lucid and make ubuntu studio better!
>

> -----------------------------
> I would like to remind you how large the advantages are to have a
> -lowlatency kernel flavour.
>
> Providing a lowlatency kernel allows us to have a kernel that is
> _very_ stable (like -generic because it is the same code without
> modifications and
> only with a different configuration) but with very good performance
> out of the box.
> Moreover, to have it in the form of a kernel flavour means that it
> keeps up to date with the -generic kernel without our intervention.
> In this way we can avoid recomending kernel-rt to most of our users
> thus avoid
> it's bugs and its continual trailing version of the generic kernel.
>

> What you can do for help?
>
> 1) Test the kernel ( http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~abogani/
> <http://kernel.ubuntu.com/%7Eabogani/> ) and write an email
> to kernel-team at lists.ubuntu.com <mailto:kernel-team at lists.ubuntu.com>
> with your comments (I hope that they are enthusiastic) (the packages
> will work on both karmic and lucid, however closed source graphics
> drivers will not be available)
> 2) Write to email to the above requesting this kernel flavour
> 3) Write directly to Tim Gardner endorsing it
>

> In short we could also use it as default kernel!
>
> P.s.
> If you need of some background:
>
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kernel-team/2010-January/008385.html
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kernel-team/2010-January/008570.html
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kernel-team/2010-February/008587.html

I am testing it under two configurations with Karmic i386: Sony Vaio
Centrino laptop, and AMD dual core workstation. It is quite stable (I
have no problem even at very low latency), real time with jack works
like with -rt kernel. Could it be possible to have a -headers for this
kernel, in order to test the closed graphic drivers, before to report to
kernel team ?

Toine