USB Thumb Drive and SD Card mounting problems

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at
Fri Dec 31 17:10:48 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Fred Ringwald <fred at> wrote:

> Happy New Year,
> I recently abandoned Debian after supporting it for > 10 years because of
> multiple challenges.  I chose Ubuntu Studio based on several encouraging
> factors.  I installed using the following image:
> ubuntustudio-10.10-alternate-amd64.iso
> Everything has been positive since the install about six weeks ago, except
> that the installation default didn't enable usb-storage, and I can't seem to
> make this install recognize and mount a thumb drive.
> So, after exhausting all the options that worked and sometimes "just
> worked" in debian, I am now groveling and asking for help.
> First, what is different, and what do I need to do to get thumb drives, SD
> cards, etc, to automount using ubuntu studio, and,
> Second, why is the default installation to not enable this feature?
> Please respond to me at:  fred at rather than on the list.
> Thank you,
> Fred Ringwald
> fred at

thats interesting... its always worked for me, however that is something i
will need to actually go and test in 10.10 ubuntustudio. i have an actual
ubuntustudio 10.04 64bit install on my production box that mounts whatever i
throw at it (out-of-the-box), the 10.10 install i have is for testing
purposes and is just plain old ubuntu to which i have added whatever studio
packages i need... im sure you're savvy with the ways drives are mounted,
but just for trouble-shooting purposes, put a USB drive in, see if fdisk -l
picks it up, and also, look in nautilus and see if its showing up and not
mounting... IF you have either a 10.04 or 10.10 ubuntu live CD, try booting
one or both of those live and see if the USB drives boot in these live
environments... thanks...