Kernel testing

Ronan Jouchet ronan at jouchet.fr
Thu Dec 9 05:34:48 GMT 2010

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 10:14 PM, Ronan Jouchet <ronan at jouchet.fr> wrote:

> On 10-12-07 12:50 PM, ailo wrote:
>
>> I noticed Alessio asked Tims opinion on whether or not the lowlatency
>> kernel is needed.
>> I don't know what has been suggested or talked about in the past, so
>> forgive me if I repeat something here.
>>
>> [...]
>>

>> Maybe someone in this mail-list does tests to determine whether or not
>> the generic kernel can do these things as well as the
>> lowlatency/realtime kernels?
>>

> Hello everybody,
>
> Alessio, Tim, I fail to understand this sudden position shift towards
> -lowlatency. Half a dozen users tested the -lowlatency kernel this summer,
> with the following results:
>  - Yes, lowlatency provides noticeably lower latency than generic
>  - Rt/realtime remains snappier and thus remain a requirement for diehard
> audio users needing top notch performance.
>  - However, rt/realtime are very painful to maintain compared to lowlatency
> that consists in "simple" build-time tweaks
>
> This resulted in an apparently well-accepted *focus on lowlatency for
> Natty*, summed up by Scott in end-of-September emails. We even nailed it in
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RealTime , including a testing table featuring two
> neat green "lowlatency" rows.
>
> Alessio, don't get me wrong here: I respect this amazing work you've been
> doing (and that I'd totally be unable to do), I know you are doing it alone,
> and I know the absence of feedback can get discouraging.
> I just want to understand why this question pops now. We should be pushing
> for inclusion in Natty, and instead of focusing on testing and bugfixing we
> are re-debating an already closed subject.
>
> Anyway, *yes there is ongoing testing*: right now holstein, ailo, I (and
> possibly other users) are testing it. Again:
> Testers: please keep hammering the lowlatency kernel from Alessio's PPA,
> and report your test results.
> Alessio: please bear with us and continue your efforts, rest assured the
> interest is there.
>
> I hope this email doesn't sound harsh. No aggressiveness intended, I only
> mean to be synthetic and to the point. Thank you,
>
> Ronan Jouchet

Note: Natty is currently kinda playful to test: it seems a (gdm2?) package
update causes login to fail (even with no-Unity "Classic" sessions, even
right after the first update of on a clean ubuntustudio install), making it
impossible to go past the login screen..... Meh. Will try again to test
lowlatency in a few days.

Bye,

Ronan