The audio group

Cory K. coryisatm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 11:11:01 BST 2010

On 08/24/2010 04:56 AM, David Henningsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Adding users to the audio group is not recommended for reasons I've just
> documented here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/TheAudioGroup
>
> Looking at ubuntu studio documentation, you seem to recommend people to
> add themselves to the audio group pretty much (found by doing a search
> for "audio group" on help.ubuntu.com), so can we remove it? Change it to
> something else?

That's under the "community" section. Something we don't control.

Also, it was nessesary in the past because of permissions needed for
some soundcards. (firewire I believe) From what I have seen, our users
are folks who have "single-user" systems. (this is actually our target
audience and setup) So your "Implications" section will not apply to them.

Someone with more current grasp on the situation should chime in. As
long as a solution can be found that works for everyone we can change
the documentation. In the end, adding users still might be needed for
corner cases and those folks won't care. They'll just want their gear to
work. :)

-Cory K.