Backporting, PPA, and other important things in life

Khashayar Naderehvandi khashayar.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 15:27:59 GMT 2009

> With regards packages in Debian that you wish to update in Ubuntu, the
> process - when I was more active - is simple: file a bug against the
> package, attach a debdiff. The new version must recognise the
> divergence, by using the "Debian" revision,
> <upstream-version>-0ubuntuX. If it's the first Ubuntu package, that
> would be -0ubuntu1. I am aware that with the whole everything-in-bzr
> thing, this might change: you may need to provide a diff against a bzr
> branch, or something, but I am not aware of the mechanisms of that,
> for a simple reason: I am now more active in Debian.
>
> Though I say "more active", that doesn't mean particularly active.
> However, I do still maintain mscore and fluid-soundfont, and I do not
> have Debian installed on my system. If I need to test something, I can
> use a Debian chroot, and when I build packages, I use a Debian
> pbuilder: there is no need to have  Debian install.

Is there any good online source for how to use a Debian pbuilder under
ubuntu, you can link to? This should be better than a VM for me.

> Furthermore, the Debian bugtracker is also quite straightforward when
> you understand that, unlike Launchpad where there is a choice, Debian
> requires that all actions be taken via the e-mail interface. After you
> get that and learn a couple of commands, it's quite simple.

I've been trying to familiarize myself with the Debian way of doing
things today and even filed a bug report. Let's see how that goes.

> Finally, if you are going to update Ubuntu's audacity version to
> diverge from Debian, be aware that, unless Debian makes an obsoleting
> update, you will have to do merges rather than (auto)syncs in future.
> Ergo, I suggest that as well as filing an Ubuntu bug to update, you
> also file a bug in Debian with the same debdiff attached, or, better,
> one ported to Debian, with any patches you've had to make. Though
> Debian is slow, it is nonetheless important, and the maintainers will
> appreciate your work.

Thanks for all the info. I'm gonna try to go down this path instead.
Seems it is the best way to get updates to the development branch of
ubuntu, and like you say, debian benefits as well.

> Enjoy yourself,
>
>  - Toby

Regards,
Khashayar