New notification system.

Khashayar Naderehvandi khashayar.lists at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 10:50:29 GMT 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 4:38 AM, Cory K. <coryisatm at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Canonical's new notification system has been put into Ubuntu and Studio
> has accepted it for testing.
>
> After spending the day with it I'm not personally sold. I found numerous
> places where apps didn't work with it and the amount of new
> notifications I got looks to have doubled. Along with inconsistent
> windows popping up.
>
> I was told that it's still new and there are still updates to add but we
> still might wanna wait 'till +1 to take on this change.
>
> As it really doesn't remove functionality from Studio and is just bling,
> I'm unsure if we should take this new system for now. Users can always
> manually install it if they wish.
>
> *Please* test and give feedback.

The most annoying thing with the new notification system, in my
opinion at least, is how it handles pop ups that previously used to
have any kind of interaction buttons. For example pidgin's libnotify
plugin that has a "show" button, clicking on which takes you to the
pidgin window (or some such). Of course, most of the time one simply
ignores a lot of these notifications, but with the new system you
can't ignore it. They pop up in the middle of the screen in their own
window. That's pretty horrible. In fact, it's so horrible, that I
can't imagine it being kept like that for long.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm hoping the most annoying things
with the new notification system will be fixed before Jaunty is out.
We could just as well go with it. Also, there has been a lot of
critique of Mark's idea to completely eliminate the interaction
possibility. Hopefully that critique will be taken into account when
developing the notification system.

Cory, can you point out some of the stuff that didn't work - or didn't
work properly - for you? For me, like I said, it's mainly the window
pop ups.

Regards,
K.