List of Ubuntu Studio packages for making a live DVD ?

Luke Yelavich themuso at ubuntu.com
Mon Dec 14 01:19:46 GMT 2009

On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 08:32:01AM EST, Cory K. wrote:
> I would say I'm not for this on a LTS release.
>
> The reasoning for us not creating a live disk is 2-fold.
>
>    * Live disks do not preform well for audio. (our core audience)
>    * 2 more disks to test where our testing is already very poor.
>    * And a 3rd one, resources. ie: diskspace on Canonical servers.
>
> I will also say I'm generally against this. But if it happens after
> the LTS and is what people really want, I won't be a roadblock.

Also note that it is significant work to make changes to create a new live image. I could probably churn one out come the final release, but wouldn't be able to make any promises as to how well it works.

I personally have a high understanding of the image building process, both DVD/CD image building, and live filesystem building, so could certainly set up something where a live DVD is built periodically, and made available via torrent/uploaded to my webspace. However I would only investigate this if there was significant demand for users wanting a live DVD.

There would also likely be work needed to make ubiquity work properly with installing UbuntuStudio from the live DVD image, particularly relating to choosing the package sets users want installed.

Luke