I made a nice new vocoder for Ubuntu Studio

Elie Goldman Smith pistough at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 24 18:48:39 BST 2009

Hey guys,

I made a little program for real-time vocoded vocals. For those who don't know, these are like what you hear from artists like T-Pain, Lil Wayne, Daft Punk, Paul Oakenfield, and other techno, pop, and hip-hop.

I call my program SnoKoder.

It's much clearer-sounding and easy to use than the other vocoders for linux. It also uses very little CPU (about 10% on my Pentium 3). I used FFTs instead of the usual modulator/carrier model.

Right now it depends on JACK. To use it, start JACK and then run SnoKoder. Your voice should come thru the microphone. Then you press different keys to put your voice onto different notes.

I put in quite a few more features:
- built-in voice recording
- noise removal, DC filter, gain, compressor, and echoes
- dry/wet mix option (good for vocal harmonies)
- MIDI input (good for live performances)

I also plan to add an auto-tuning feature (crude pitch detection). But first I'll re-organize the source code, so that it can easily be ported to LADSPA and other interfaces.

Okay, so to compile it, unzip the source code, then type into a terminal :
        gcc snokoder-v1.3-stable.c -O1 -ljack -lfftw3 -lcurses -lasound -o snokoder

And to run it, just type:
        ./snokoder
Or you can just click on the file called 'snokoder'

Anybody who wants make this into a .deb package and/or add it to the repositories, go right ahead! Just let me know. I'll make the manual page soon.

Try it out, have fun, peace!
 - Elie

More storage. Better anti-spam and antivirus protection. Hotmail makes it simple.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9671357