license & soundfont

Toby Smithe tsmithe at ubuntu.com
Sun Apr 6 21:15:03 BST 2008

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 8:41 PM,  <hollunder at gmx.at> wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 18:57:49 +0100
>  "Toby Smithe" <tsmithe at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
>  > On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 2:30 PM,  <hollunder at gmx.at> wrote:
>  > > What license must a soundfont be under to make it possible for you
>  > > to integrate it?
>  >
>  > Any free distribution licence is fine. For instance, I recommended the
>  > Fluid SoundFont be MIT licensed, mainly because it was closest to what
>  > the upstream had envisaged as "Public Domain, but please include a
>  > copyright notice".
>  >
>  GPL would probably also be an option.
>  It's inconvenient that the cc licenses are not approved by debian, the
>  possibility to choose some terms would have been nice.
>  I guess a cc licensed soundfont couldn't get included?

GPL is certainly an option. I only suggested MIT as that's the one
that has been used before :-)

I'm not sure about the status of CC licences; I'm sure they're free
enough to be included, though how Debian's stance is and affects us is
unclear. If you're really keen, you could e-mail debian-legal and ask.