Common settings app for Ubuntu Studio

Toby Smithe tsmithe at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 30 21:06:35 GMT 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 00:50 +0000, Andrew Hunter wrote:
> An update on the progress of ubuntustudio-controls. There has been a
> project page opened on launchpad [1]. Currently the only code written is
> a generic class for finding, adding and updating strings on arbitrary
> files. With this in place it will be simple for the gui to implement the
> requested functionality via instancing the class and passing on the
> required information. The development branch is available from LP [2].

Excellent; I will take a look at that code this weekend.

> Toby, I also saw the bug you filed regarding alsa and -controls. If
> there is already an application in development to do this, then great. I
> would be happy to render whatever assistance I can. Perhaps you should
> take a look at changesettings.py and see if it is applicable to the
> situation.

As above.

> Also, on IRC crimsun mentioned that:
>
> [00:30] < crimsun> well, the script itself is already deprecated [thanks
> to PulseAudio]
>
> iirc, that was in regards to asoundconf-ui. Is this the case?

Well. I'm sure there will still be cases where users will want to bypass
PulseAudio for the time being. They will then be required to specify a
default sound card in the current manner. I'm not sure how latency is
with Pulse/JACK in combination - and I'm not set up currently to find
out - but I'm sure it can't be brilliant, so there is one use case.

Of course, whilst JACK can be configured to use whatever sound card is
wanted, other media applications do not provide this flexibility, and
why force users to resort to alien cryptic terminal functionality, when
it's simple enough to provide a GUI?