[Poll] Changing permissions on raw1394

Cory K. coryisatm at nc.rr.com
Fri Nov 30 17:54:24 GMT 2007

ttoine at ttoine.net wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> I am doing it by hand on pc and my workstation, and suggested to dot it
> to a many user I have provided support on the french community. Firewire
> sound card is common on laptop now if you want quality (usb sound cards
> are not very good with low latency).
>
> Just a few question : I guess you agree that there is no security risk
> if there are only disks, camera or sound card plugged in firewire,
> because they are "passive" hardware. But is there really a way to have
> ethernet on firewire ? Is it common ?
>
> Toine

Yes. It can be done. I also want to stress that while the real-world
reality is that this won't pose too big a risk to most of our users I
don't want to play down the fact that this is a security risk. There's a
good reason it's disabled but default.

This setting will also be removed from the app once the new firewire
stack gets into the kernel.

-Cory \m/