Should Qsampler be dropped from Ubuntu archives?

Luis de Bethencourt bethencourt at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 08:50:14 GMT 2007

Ttoine,

The situation is not the same as MySQL or QT. I've contacted the
linuxsampler main developer and he's closing it this way because other
programs use linuxsampler not as a library but through sockets.

Anyway, I will try to share some ideas of how to fix this with him.

Luis de Bethencourt

On Nov 29, 2007 9:25 AM, ttoine at ttoine.net <ttoine at ttoine.net> wrote:
> I agree with Cory.
>
> However, think that you can compare this discussion with the licence of
> Mysql, wich is GPL if the application is non commercial or GPL, and they
> have a possibility to make a commercial licence for closed source
> software using their librairies. It is quite the same problematic, and
> ofr what I know, mysql is in Ubuntu (for lamp servers)
>
> So waiting for a statement of linuxsampler team is a good thing, but
> imho we can package and distribute linuxsampler in Ubuntu.
>
> Toine
>

> Yvan Vander Sanden a écrit :
>
> > Luis de Bethencourt wrote:
> >
> >> If you say it is so close to gpl... Why don't they license it gpl or
> >> any other known license with a foundation behind?
> >>
> >> When a linuxsampler developer gives me a valid purpose I will start
> >> agreeing with them. Or they license it gpl or any other free license
> >> for that matter, we will ship it by default.
> >>
> >> For now, they have their own license, which is never cool. And that
> >> license has ambiguos terms as you mention, that can be taken to be
> >> very free or dictatorship. As a contributor to a distro that deploys
> >> software to a _LOT_ of people. I can't take the risk of
> >> misinterpreting a license, and breaking it, or even worse, making the
> >> users break it.
> >>
> >> Not talking about you, Yvan, but most end users don't care about
> >> licenses. So we have to care for us and for them. Sadly enough, free
> >> software development isn't excempt of a lot of legal issues (which are
> >> boring and tedious).
> >>

> > I agree. It is a sound reason to refuse software if it's not GPL. I was
> > only worried because I thought there was a misinterpretation, and a
> > judgment made for the wrong reasons could polarize people. As a final
> > point I'd like to mention i don't use samplers myself. So it doesn't
> > have anything to do with my personal preferences.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > yvan

Luis de Bethencourt Guimerá
luisbg