Should Qsampler be dropped from Ubuntu archives?

Yvan Vander Sanden yvan at
Wed Nov 28 10:40:47 GMT 2007

I think there is a misunderstanding here. The exception the linuxSampler
license states is about integrating the code etc. in COMMERCIAL hardware
or software. This is exactly what the GPL stands for. You can do
anything with the code as long as you respect the GPL license. So the
freedom we want is guaranteed.

Now for the expection they make: under normal circumstances, commercial
hardware- and softwaremakers are not allowed to use GPL code (LGPL yes,
but that's another story). So the linuxSampler license is a bit less
restrictive than the real GPL, in that it gives commerial softwaremakers
a chance to use their code, even in ways the GPL does not allow it, but
only if permission is given by the authors.

If it were pure GPL, giving this permission would be impossible. So this
license gives a bit more freedom, it does not take the freedom from GPL.

At least, that is what i understand when i read this. I have not read
the whole license yet.