Thoughts for default Hardy UI. (.deb included)

Cory K. coryisatm at nc.rr.com
Wed Nov 21 18:32:33 GMT 2007

Karoliina Salminen wrote:
> On Nov 21, 2007 6:47 PM, ttoine at ttoine.net <ttoine at ttoine.net> wrote:
>
>> I do it on the desktop, like on macosX...
>>

> The reason why I am not doing it on desktop is that I rarely look at
> the desktop, and I usually always see
> the panel, I have never used to use desktop for anything, I don't even
> use it on Mac very much. One reason
> is that I wouldn't find anything from it since there is so much space
> to spend -
> I have 2560x1600 resolution monitor and if I would be heavy-using desktop,
> I would spend lots of time moving my head in order to locate something
> I am looking for. However,
> having the eject on panel menu similarly than close icon in
> application switcher menu on Hildon Desktop's Task Navigator
> panel, would be a lot faster for those who do not like to see all the
> time the desktop (Places is always in a position
> which is easy to find, even on a large screen like this). But that is
> just my opinion and idea and it does
> not mean that it is the absolutely correct one for everybody, not
> everybody is maybe using (yet) 30 inch monitor,
> but it would just suit me best that way. I know that some want a
> desktop-like content management.
> I used to like that back on Amiga times, but with that it was pretty
> easily manageable as the screen was small and
> the amount of items was not thousands but dozens at maximum.
>
> Best Wishes,
> Karoliina

Pfftt.... Woa as me. My desktop is too big. :D (oh to have that problem.
thought I shouldn't talk as I have a 24"@1920x1200) :D

Since the overwhelming consensus has been to only show hot-plugged
devices we'll go with that.

But this post does bring up an interesting thought. How many people run
apps in full-screen or rarely even use the desktop?

Everyone has panels. Though it shows all mounted drives (not just
hotplugged ones) would it be better for some to use the panel applet? Or
is managing them simply through Nautilus the way to go? (this is what
I'm for)

This is really just a question of convenience and not functionality. I'm
a functional guy myself and like I said launching Nautilus is fine for me.

You guys?

-Cory \m/