Thoughts for default Hardy UI. (.deb included)

Cory K. coryisatm at nc.rr.com
Wed Nov 21 05:07:54 GMT 2007

Toma wrote:
>> I also want feedback as to what we should have on the desktop. No icons?
>> Only volumes? Like the screenshot?
>>

> I like the idea of a very very stripped back default desktop. I think
> you could go further. No volumes on the desktop. And use the volume
> manger by default on the panel. Simply because I know im always
> plugging in thumb drives and backup drives and need to manage that
> easily when having ardour/qjackctl/rosegarden/hydrogen all open.
>
> Toma.

IMO this is even unnecessary since we will most likely set the drives to
be mounted, but not browsed when inserted. See "Automatic launching of
programs for removable media/connected devices." thread.

So you can manage the drives through Nautilus. Just not the way you
_personally_ like it. :) I actually cant remember any screenshots with
that applet or people mentioning using it. I had to look it up. :)

So I guess the I should say that the panel for the most part is set, but
the desktop icons I'm iffy on. I think I'm leaning toward no icons since
everything can be done through Nautilus. Maybe no volumes? Just
"Computer, Home and Trash"?

I'm gonna hush for a bit and let others chime in.

-Cory \m/