Creating a Promotional DVD-video

Matthew Craig matthew.t.craig at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 03:21:25 GMT 2007

We were speaking in IRC chat about making promotional videos tonight.
This seems to me a great way to introduce Free Software, Ubuntu, and
Ubuntu LoCo concepts to people in a non-invasive manner (on the
computer, in other words).  It is easy to burn DVD-video with Ubuntu.
Then, you can pop it in a DVD player and let the audience see your
desktop experience with the desktop!

Many promotional videos are already available for your use, in the
Ubuntu Screencast Project repository.  Further, you can capture
specific desktop sessions with xvidcap.  Convert your videos to MPEG2
format with ffmpeg, and burn the DVD with QDVDauthor.

There are many things you can do with the disk once it is created,
give it to friends, teachers, administrators, or ask the library to
catalog it.  Be sure to include a license text-file saying it is free
to distribute, and cite the original website source, when possible.
The DVD you make are unencrypted, so anyone can copy and burn a new
disk to share.  Just make sure all the content on the DVD has the
licensing in order, and everyone will feel comfortable distributing it
freely.

Consider some ways you can show the benefits of Ubuntu Local
Community, and you will have some ideas for your movie.  Hope you will
take some time over the holiday promoting the Ubuntu LoCos to the
computer-enthusiasts in your area.