[Merge] lp:~n-muench/ubuntu/precise/open-vm-tools/open-vm-tools-precise.sid-merge1 into lp:ubuntu/open-vm-tools

Nate Muench (Mink) NowIWillDestroyAbydos at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 20:49:26 UTC 2012

The proposal to merge lp:~n-muench/ubuntu/precise/open-vm-tools/open-vm-tools-precise.sid-merge1 into lp:ubuntu/open-vm-tools has been updated.

Description changed to:

I think I did this merge the right way this time.

I felt it was time to sync with Debian again (since they're doing unstable releases again), so I did.  I kept as much as our additions to the packaging as possible.

A few notable things from this branch (I tried to be as accurate as possible in my changelog):
- The October & November merges from Debian are not included
  * October because the changes there were added previously (in the 2011.03.28-387002-0ubuntu4 merge in Oneiric).
  * November because we don't have the procps version they have, isn't in the Precise repos yet. I'll add it when it does.
- I removed the stable numbering from the version (the 2:8.8.0+ part)
  * It was to lessen the headache of the sync
- Precise has a newer version of glib (and debian has a older version in unstable).  So I had to add a CFLAG so every thing would compile correctly
- In open-vm-tools.init, I added modprobe [-r] vmxnet
  * vmxnet wasn't properly loaded
- Also in open-vm-tools.init, I added modprobe [-r] pcnet32, to be run before and after the vmxnet module is loaded
  * After reboot, pcnet32 was still being used (even if vmxnet was loaded).  If vmxnet were to have a compile failure, we would still have network connectivity (because pcnet32 is reloaded).

If there are any issues with this packaging, we still have time to make necessary fixes before Precise is released.  This merge is just so we have kernel modules that compile successfully.  I can confirm that everything that needs to work, is working.

I'm planning on doing monthly uploads of open-vm-tools (waiting on Debian, and testing the packaging before I upload it) until the Feature Freeze.  I was planning on doing this during the Oneiric cycle, but issues with GCC prevented it.

My prep branch:
https://code.launchpad.net/~n-muench/ubuntu/precise/open-vm-tools/open-vm-tools-precise.sid-merge-prep1

My blueprint (I though it might be good idea to create one):
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/open-vm-tools-precise.sid-merge

My Virtual Test repo (which has this packaging built, and ready for installation):
https://launchpad.net/~n-muench/+archive/virtual-test/+packages

UPDATE 1-9-12: There are 2 files that have not been added (open-vm-dkms.postinst & open-vm-dkms.prerm).  These files probably allow dkms to compile and install the kernel modules during the install process.  I hadn't realized these needed to be added.  I do, however, intend on including these files when I upload the January release (after I tested them to see if they've been affected by the new DKMS files within the debian folder).

For more details, see:
https://code.launchpad.net/~n-muench/ubuntu/precise/open-vm-tools/open-vm-tools-precise.sid-merge1/+merge/87119
--
https://code.launchpad.net/~n-muench/ubuntu/precise/open-vm-tools/open-vm-tools-precise.sid-merge1/+merge/87119
Your team Ubuntu Sponsors Team is requested to review the proposed merge of lp:~n-muench/ubuntu/precise/open-vm-tools/open-vm-tools-precise.sid-merge1 into lp:ubuntu/open-vm-tools.