[Merge] lp:~rsalveti/ubuntu/maverick/ureadahead/fix-600359 into lp:ubuntu/ureadahead

Ricardo Salveti rsalveti at rsalveti.net
Wed Aug 18 07:07:41 BST 2010

Ricardo Salveti has proposed merging lp:~rsalveti/ubuntu/maverick/ureadahead/fix-600359 into lp:ubuntu/ureadahead.

Requested reviews:
  Ubuntu Sponsors Team (ubuntu-sponsors)
Related bugs:
  #600359 ureadahead generating oom messages during boot.
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/600359

Changing ureadahead initscript to avoid running ureadahead at systems with less than 512 MB of ram.

This is needed because ureadahead sets the tracing buffer to 128MB, and at a system with small amount of memory (Beagleboard) this can cause the boot to call the OOM, killing ureadahead and plymouthd.

Check bug 600359 for more details.

I decided to change only the initscript, instead of adding this restriction to the ureadahead code, because then the user can still run and test it if needed.

I also tried different memory thresholds, but didn't change the boot speed when comparing different bootcharts for BeagleBoard, so I just decided to avoid running it in this case.
--
https://code.launchpad.net/~rsalveti/ubuntu/maverick/ureadahead/fix-600359/+merge/32955
Your team Ubuntu Sponsors Team is requested to review the proposed merge of lp:~rsalveti/ubuntu/maverick/ureadahead/fix-600359 into lp:ubuntu/ureadahead.