Creating new task

Nicholas Skaggs nicholas.skaggs at canonical.com
Sun Dec 6 16:13:21 UTC 2015

I'll reply to the list also, to clarify.

On Sat, Dec 5, 2015 at 8:11 PM, Gaurav Shukla <gshukla66 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I was trying to create a few tasks under the category outreach and
> research and one more in the documentation.
>
> I have a few questions, I want an outreach task to be spread over 2 weeks
> but the form allows a maximum time of 7 days so I've decided to break it
> into two tasks the second one being follow up of the firs task. How do I
> mention that clearly in the task or is it not allowed to make such tasks ?

Tasks with dependencies on other tasks are hard. You aren't the first to
mention it. In this specific case, I think the task you are after might
just be too big. I did publish the task to host a workshop at your local
ubuntu meeting / linux meeting (or start one yourself if needed).  Check
out the modifications I made to reduce it's scope to something that might
fit more into a single task scope.

For the follow-up tasks, it might be enough to encourage the students to do
it on there own afterwards. The goal of course is to introduce them to open
source and the ubuntu ecosystem. I trust some of the students will stick
around and pursue more opportunities -- even if they aren't coded in as
tasks.
This might be a question for the gci-mentors list directly to see what
others think / do in these situations.  I would ask there. Anyone else have
ideas on how to handle this? (At the moment, I'm holding tasks that require
an earlier task to be completed, with the intention of publishing them
later).

> My second question is regarding a package Desktop Effects, the
> documentation for this was last updated in 2011 and now there is Composite
> Manager for that, so should I add a task to list out steps for installing
> Desktop Effects or a task to update the documentation to point to the newer
> alternate package?

I see this as a good idea and productive. The glamor has faded for those of
us who lived through the compiz plugin craze, but there are many who
didn't. I must say, I'd be curious to write on my screen with fire again!