Yet another GSOC 2010 Project Idea!!!

Anirudh Sanjeev anirudh at
Thu Mar 25 08:27:28 GMT 2010

Hi Abhishek,

I'm rather new, and not a mentor, so you should get a second opinion before
taking my suggestions:

Actually, in my experience, I've seen that most people prefer to use
console applications as they're lighter and more geared towards keyboard
usage making them more efficient. I'm writing this email on vim on a
console based email client too :)

Trying to find a one-to-one relation between console apps, usually built
with the ncurses/urwid development stacks might prove a little futile as
there are many tools which implement the same feature set.

You give the example of cmus as a console client in replacement for
rhythmbox/banshee. I prefer ncmpcpp and someone else might prefer plait. If
you even claim to make the transition from GUI to non-GUI seamless that
will be even more complex and might not provide significant value.

The console is meant primarily for experienced users - who - if they are
comfortable enough with their pet tool to solve their problem, will seldom
venture out of the same. Thus I don't see clearly what pain point your idea
is addressing.

Senior Undergraduate Student, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur

Start something!