My proposal: A proper Smartphone managing suite for Kubuntu.

Dinesh saidinesh5 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 04:38:49 GMT 2010

Hi,

I am  Dinesh. I'm an undergraduate looking to spend my summer contributing
full-time to (K)ubuntu via the Google
Summer of Code by making A proper Smartphone managing suite for (K)ubuntu.

Basically i m interested in integrating the existing tools like obexfs,
opensync-syncml to make a proper smartphone managing software for Kubuntu,as
a part of my GSoC 2010 proposal. with this I aim to achieve the basic tasks
of syncing photos, music, videos and PIM data in the pre installed
applications like gwen view, amarok , kontact with many smartphones over USB
or Bluetooth. Also, since using a phone as a dial up modem via bluetooth is
still a tricky task, i aim to add this feature too... what i wont be doing
is adding things like sending sms, dialing numbers from PC. At the very
least this project will be useful for atleast 50% of the smartphones in the
market.(statistics from wikipedia: symbian has 50% market share). Even
though i aim to shoot a moving target, with the market share of the phones
changing rapidly, this project will still be useful to a great majority of
people, and the remaining platforms like iPhone, Android etc.. can be made
to support these protocols(if they already dont) by writing native phone
applications.

You can see what I have planned at my wiki page:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GSoC/2010/Dinesh

so please review my proposal, so that i can add it to the official ideas
list of ubuntu

Thanks,
Dinesh