Clipboard Improvements Idea

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Fri Apr 2 20:08:38 BST 2010

On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 14:51:19 -0400, Sarah Strong <sarah.e.strong at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey, James,
>
> I misinterpreted your previous statement

No problem, we're making progress :-)

> That already exists as part of e.g. parcellite and is available on every
> >
> > GNOME desktop as part of gnome-setttings-daemon.
> >
> > To mean that parcellite itself was the implementation of a clipboard
> manager  included in gnome-settings-daemon. I couldn't find a separate name
> for the clipboard manager, so the gnome-settings-daemon component must be
> developed as a indivisible part of the whole package.

Correct.

http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-settings-daemon/tree/plugins/clipboard

> Parcellite, then, is the solution that David is looking for, I believe.
>
> I tried Chrome as an example. Without parcellite, copying from Chrome,
> closing it, and then pasting fails. With parcellite installed, I get a panel
> app that keeps a history of my clipboard contents. Copying from Chrome,
> closing it, and then pasting succeeds.

That's good to know.

> I would prefer the lighter weight solution that we'd gain from making other
> apps conform to the freedesktop ClipboardManager specification, but
> including parcellite by default in Ubuntu would also solve the problem.

Does parcellite rely on the panel app? It might be a tough sell to get a
new panel app on a default install to solve this problem.

It would be interesting to look at what it does differently and either
pull those things in to the gnome-settings-daemon one, use parcellite as
an invisible daemon with an optional panel app, or fix the apps.

What license is parcellite under? If it is compatible with
gnome-settings-daemon that may make things easier.

> I know it's not exactly the solution David prefers, but might you, David, or
> someone you work with be available to mentor the ClipboardManager spec
> project?

I would be happy to.

Thanks,

James