Clipboard Improvements Idea

Anirudh Sanjeev anirudh at anirudhsanjeev.org
Thu Apr 1 07:45:30 BST 2010

Hi Sarah, David, Kevin,

I am quite interested to see improvements in the clipboard. I tried writing
my own clipboard manager a while back.

I was trying to mimic a feature of a fancy Mac OSX clipboard manager
software. If I pressed Winkey + V instead of Ctrl + V, it would pop up a
little window, similar to a code completion window in IDEs. The little
window contains all the recent text based clippings, and appears right next
to the cursor. You can search for your text right inside this window, and
it automatically inserts the appropriate text.

I used an alternative technique by continuously watching the standard
clipboard for changes and then pushing it into a stack. Implementation of
said idea proved difficult mainly because it's hard to determine the exact
position of a cursor in _any_ application, and to push text back into it.

A very similar shareware package for windows is available here which I used
back in 2006. I don't know what's the story now:
http://www.lw-works.com/clipboard-recorder

Since I spend most of my time inside vim, and this functionality already
exists, I abandoned it. I'm sure this feature coming in with GNOME/Ubuntu
will make things a lot easier, and would be great if you consider including
it in your proposal.

Especially if you select something to copy it, and accidentally select
something else - you can work comfortably knowing that no data has been
lost.

Thanks,
Anirudh
--
Senior Undergraduate Student, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
http://anirudhsanjeev.org

The Unix philosophy - Do one thing. Do it well.