[Ubuntu-SG] Job posting announcement: Linux Specialist at SGX
kohsuhaw at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 05:08:40 BST 2010
Position : Assistant Vice President, Linux Specialist
Business / Support Unit : Technology
Function : Architecture & Infrastructure
Reference No. : TEC/Architecture & Infrastructure**
Job Description : The Singapore Exchange (SGX) owns and operates the
only integrated securities exchange and derivatives exchange in
Singapore and their related clearing houses. The securities exchange
was the first fully electronic and floorless exchange in Asia. SGX
serves a wide array of international and domestic investors and end
users, including many of the world’s largest financial institutions,
and have been among the most innovative exchanges in the world in
technological and new product development.
The Linux Specialist is primarily a Subject Matter Expert (SME) role
in the related fields of Linux infrastructure and environment that
supports the underlying core businesses and corporate infrastructure.
Superior knowledge and experience in mission critical Linux
environment is crucial and mandatory. The candidate is expected to be
competent and capable of integrating Linux systems with Blades
technology, Storage Area Network (SAN) and Data Network. Ideally, the
person possesses a good understanding of financial markets,
experienced with working under pressure and in a fast paced
The position reports to Infrastructure Manager within the Architecture
and Infrastructure unit. The responsibilities can be broadly
classified into 2 categories, Projects and Business as usual (BAU).
For projects, the role is expected to provide technical direction,
guidance, advisory and support to internal customers and project
As part of the project team, the role has the responsibility to ensure
the installation and implementation conforms to vendor’s
specification, corporate standards and industry best practices. Being
the Linux SME, the project team will look upon the role to provide the
necessary technical guidance and leadership. As for BAU, the Linux
Specialist has the responsibilities of providing oversight and
management of our IT managed service partner in their day to day
operations and deliverables.
The role requires extensive communications with internal customers,
external vendors and contractors. Communications and Interactions
skills will be one of the key criteria for success in the role. The
ability to handle multiple critical assignments simultaneously is also
crucial for the role.
The role requires an individual with high commitment, organisation
skills, ability to handle stress and make decisive and firm decisions
in a fast paced and ever changing environment. An individual that
thrives on challenges, with a goal of achievement and success will be
suitable for the role.
• Subject Matter Expert (SME) in Linux and its associated Infrastructure.
• Provide technical directions, guidance and advisory to project teams.
• Provide technical support to internal and external customers.
• To review, validate and provide comments for proposed solution from
internal customers, outsourced IT partners and vendors.
• To ensure new or enhancement installation and implementation
conforms to vendor’s specification, corporate standards and industrial
• To ensure smooth and seamless Infrastructure rollout into
production, as part of project teams.
• Providing oversight and management of outsourced IT partners in
their day to day operations and deliverables.
• Ongoing review and enhancement to ensure Infrastructure is being
managed efficiently and effectively.
• Assist management in planning and enhancement of Infrastructure
• As a member of Incident Recovery Team (IRT), to participate in
incident troubleshooting, recovery and root cause analysis.
Job Requirements :
• Bachelor degree in Information Systems/Computer Science/ Information
Technology or any Computer related fields, with 7 to 10 years relevant
experience and exposures.
• Strong concepts and operations experiences in Linux and its
associated infrastructure, with the ability to drill down to details,
specifically in Linux operating environment and the integration
between Linux systems, Storage Area Network (SAN), Enterprise Backup,
Monitoring and Data Network.
• Strong sense of responsibility with the ability to work alone with
• Team player with strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to keep up-to-date with the latest technologies on how to
apply and implement them.
• Experience in implementing and supporting of large scale mission
critical Linux environment with High Availability (HA) and
• Experience in VMWare, ESX, Hypervisor, VMotion, P2V, V2V and others
VMWare related technologies.
• Knowledge of supporting Web and Applications services is desirable.
• Strong problem-solving and analytical skills with strong
organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks
• Experience in working in an outsourced vendor environment will be preferred.
• Experience and competent in Wintel technology will be advantageous.
Koh Su Haw 许树浩
More information about the Ubuntu-SG