[Ubuntu-SG] Connecting to a Cisco router via USB/Serial converter & newbie questions

Mark Philip mphilip27 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 14:25:01 UTC 2010

Hi all,
I am using Ubuntu 10.04 on a Lenovo S10 netbook, and need to connect
to the console port of a Cisco 1841 router for configuration.

What I have:

1) 1 USB to Serial Port converter cable
2) 1 Cisco Serial Port to cable

Has anyone done this? Sorry, but I've only ever used Windows
Hyperterminal to do this, coupled with the appropriate drivers in
Windows XP.

I tried this to get the serial port location:

http://blog.mypapit.net/2008/05/how-to-use-usb-serial-port-converter-in-ubuntu.html

I've also tried installing both Minicom and Putty terminal software
using Ubuntu Software Center, but don't know where to locate the
programs after successful installation as the icons are not anywhere.

Is there a better way(s) to do this? I would prefer a Ubuntu software
like Hyperterminal for terminal emulation as it's more convenient to
work with the GUI than the command line.

Hope to hear from you all - many thanks!

Mark.