[Ubuntu-SG] Promoting Ubuntu among the very young

Nick HS nickhs at ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 15 05:01:18 GMT 2009

On 13/11/09 18:51, suhaw koh wrote:
> Hi Yi Hao,
>
> Many thanks for your thoughts.  Responses below.
>

> 2009/11/13 Ho Yi Hao <hounited1 at gmail.com <mailto:hounited1 at gmail.com>>
>
>     Overall, I would see this as a good plan. But what are the chances
>     that we can be approved?
>

> Yes, this proposal is in a sense unprecedented and thus difficult to
> predict the probability of it being approved.  But then, do also
> remember that this Cyber Wellness concept is also rather new and
> novel, so the "approving body" is similarly "disadvantaged" in
> determining what kinds of project will be approved.
>
> The point is if we don't try, we'll never know.
>
>     Next, is there enough people to take up this task. For me, if it
>     is gonna be every Saturday morning and all I have to do are as
>     stated above and would benefit the open source society, I see no
>     reason to not go for it.
>

> Thanks for the indication of support.  Please remember that this is
> not a short "set-up and forget about it" kind of project.  If we
> really do commit to this, we'll support the PCs for at least 3 years
> after the installation.
>
> What I am trying to achieve is for the volunteers to work in teams of
> 2 or 3 and let each team choose a preferred time that is also
> conducive to the assigned kindergarten/childcare centre.
>
> Yes, the intensive part is at the beginning which involves the
> physical setting up and basic instructions/training of users who can
> be assumed to have only basic Windows-type computing
> knowledge/experience or less.  Once the basics are in place, then it
> is up to the interactive creativity between the volunteers and the
> Centre teachers/staff to build on the basics.
>
> One hope I harbour is to be able to interest student volunteers from
> nearby Secondary Schools to supplement and enhance the whole
> experience for all participants.  But that is only a good-to-have, not
> essentially to get this project off the ground.
>
>     I would also like to point out the PC specification. Seems a bot
>     over kill don't you think? Linux is meant as a competitive to
>     windows not just in term of software alternative but also hardware
>     prices. Since Linux or rather Ubuntu in this case will not need
>     such kind of specification, would it be better if we lower the
>     specification first if we were to present this report? I am sure
>     this will make the report more attractive as compared to other
>     proposer who would want to use Windows OS.
>

> Yes, I did deliberately set the hardware specs rather high.  But then,
> do recall Moore's law and how today's high-end tech specs tend to
> become low-end within months and that if approved, this project will
> only commence from mid-2010.
>
> Also, the PCs are expected to survive a range of uses over a period of
> at least 3 years, preferably much longer.  As such, it is not a bad
> thing to set the specs a little higher, especially since the idea is
> to purchase brand-new sets, not recycle old ones.  The worst case
> [...]
This looks fantastic! I'm not sure how readily I'll be able to
contribute support but I'm happy to come in at the beginning and set up
computers. Reading through the wikipage now I agree the tech specs are a
little bit high, but should still be usable in three years time. I also
keep reading references to 4-8MB flashdrives, do you mean 4-8GB
flashdrives? What about using Ubuntu One instead?

Finally you might want to look into the Linux Terminal Server Project
(LTSP) [1] which only requires a reasonably powerful server and the rest
of the computers act as thin clients. This could be useful if we don't
get the funding we need.

Thanks Nick

[1] http://www.ltsp.org/ and https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP