[Ubuntu-SG] Ubuntu Live! Workshop Poster => Workshop considerations

Ho Fucai ho_fucai at yahoo.com.sg
Sat Mar 21 13:01:54 GMT 2009

Its on 27th march

________________________________
From: Visit Singapore 2009 <visitsingapore2009 at gmail.com>
To: C David Rigby <c.david.rigby at gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, 21 March 2009 6:00:22
Subject: Re: [Ubuntu-SG] Ubuntu Live! Workshop Poster => Workshop  considerations

Dear C David or anyone related to this project

I am interested to attend this event, but I could not find the exact date:

Saw the poster is 27 March 2009 but the website of www.ubuntu.sg is stated
as 27 April 2009 so which is which?

I believe this is an interesting project but how to attend?

Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks

Sincerely
Den
Mobile: 81012268

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 1:50 PM, C David Rigby <c.david.rigby at gmail.com> wrote:

Skip to the bottom if you've been tracking this conversation where I
reply to Heidir!

On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 10:44 +0800, Muhammad Heidir wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 09:22 +0800, Maung Myat Thu @ Billy Aung Myint
> wrote:
> > Good Morning ,
> >
> >               Here I would have to agree with David. Every now and then
> > some of my friends' laptops would have trouble booting from a usb so to
> > minimise the time troubleshooting possible problems , we could break up
> > the whole thing into two segments as suggested by David eg lecture and
> > tutorial.
> >
> > regards
> > Billy
> >
> > PS : Today is the date for the trial right? Venue and Time? Sorry, I've
> > been out-of-touch lately.
> >
> > On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 09:08 +0800, C David Rigby wrote:
> > > Good morning all,

> > > Fucai, this does follow from my original intentions and proposal.
> > > However, until we have tested the setup in the lab, I'm not sure that we
> > > can actually use the lab computers to write liveUSB images. Even if we
> > > can, that does not mean the liveUSB images will work well on the
> > > participants own computers.
> > >
> > > In particular, the BIOS of the particpant's own computer mus be set to
> > > boot from USB. My recent model Acer laptop, for example, has FOUR
> > > options for USB boot: USB HDD, USB CDROM, USB FDD and USB KEY. It will
> > > boot from a USB Flash drive, which we normally call a USB Key, but one
> > > must choose the USB HDD option, not the USB KEY option, in order for
> > > this to work.
> > >
> > > So, it is not a trivial task to get that set up properly. Also to the
> > > point is that writing a liveUSB image is a time-consuming process. If we
> > > do it from the liveCDs, the liveCD systems really cannot do anything
> > > else during that time. Ergo, people will be sitting around with little
> > > activity for a (30 minutes or so).
> > >
> > > How about this:
> > >
> > > Let's divide the workshop into two, one-hour sessions.
> > >
> > > The first is a generic "Intro to the Desktop" presentation. Demo'd by
> > > the presenter, with participants following along on their liveCD-booted
> > > PCs. No participant equipment required.
> > >
> > > The second half is a "Write Ubuntu to Your USB device". More
> > > experimental, and participants must bring their own USB flash or HDD of
> > > AT LEAST 2 GB capacity and their own portable computer. They need to be
> > > warned that the contents of the USB device will be lost, so don't bring
> > > one full of critical data that is not backed up somewhere else.
> > >
> > > Rather than put too much info on the poster, we simply indicate that
> > > participants need to check the website for full requirements for the USB
> > > installation. Kheng Hui, note that this means we need to expand the
> > > registration form to provide a place where the participants can indicate
> > > whether or not they intend to participate in the USB install option.
> > >
> > > Again, I apologize for the uncertainties at this late date, but until we
> > > do the check out today at the lab, it will be tough to know exactly what
> [...]

Given that we need to get the poster out today, but that content of the
presentation is still to be determined, let's do this:

       1. Indicate that registration for the event is required, and
       give the URL for linuxNUS' registration form.

       2. In a large font, perhaps italicized font at the bottom, ask
       the reader to (without the quotes, of course):

               "Please visit our web site at
               http://ubuntu.sg/UbuntuWorkshop_NUS for more information
               on the event!"

       This page is currently "under construction" but I will get it
       filled in with something by tomorrow.

What does everyone think?

CDR

      New Email names for you!