[Ubuntu-SG] icon clock 17

Maung Myat Thu @ Billy Aung Myint billy at ubuntu.sg
Sat Mar 7 11:53:28 GMT 2009

On Sat, 2009-03-07 at 17:38 +0800, Anand Vaidya wrote:
> On Saturday 07 March 2009 12:17:20 Maung Myat Thu @ Billy Aung Myint
> wrote:
> >
> > You know , jokes aside , I always thought it would be cool to join
> BSA
> > and sue everyone in Singapore. It would be like enforcing
> jaywalking ..
> > Everyone jaywalking across Cityhall MRT to Funan will be caught and
> > fined/jailed according to the law.
> >
> > Of course , nobody is arrested there because if they were to arrest
> > people for jaywalking , this mail would be sent from Changi , not
> > Sembawang. It is always interesting to see how lawmakers , who were
> > elected by people , makes law that goes against the interest of the
> > people who elected them.
> >
> > I am not saying it is right or wrong to jaywalk but saying people
> want
> > to jaywalk then by voting majority , those elected must follow the
> > wishes of the voting public isn't it? Isn't it what it means by
> > "government of the people, by the people, for the people" .. Because
> if
> > they don't then they won't last long in the office.. In theory ,
> this is
> > how it is supposed to be.
> >

> OK, I will bite this one.
>

> Do you know how scary it looks like from the other side? I mean you
> are driving @ legal limit of say 50kmph and suddenly a fool pops up in
> front of you. You jam the brakes, inspite of all the advanced tech,
> the cars slide on the road. You swerve and then hit another vehicle
> (or worse, a motorcyclist just in front or behind you) , or maybe you
> hit the idiot who is jaywalking when the signal is just 20m away and
> can't be bothered to wait at the signal for like, 45sec? But is
> willing to "rest" in SGH for 1-month or maybe permanently, in hell?

Then that fool is liable by law , is it not?

> No, jaywalkers, especially the young and educated must be stripped and
> caned right there , so others will learn a lesson.

If there was a job for public caning , I sure would apply for it.

> But old folks ignoring the traffic and crossing streets in AMK or
> North Bridge Road is another story. I always give way to them way,
> even if the signal is RED for them.

But you see , thats you. Someone somewhere would felt another way. So in
order not for us to debate who is right , such as whether pirates or BSA
is right, the law must come in. Thats the whole point of having a legal
system anyway , besides making lawyers rich. And the argument is that
since lawmakers are elected by majority , it must reflect majority's
interest.

In our case , either BSA sues all or none. And jaywalkers are all
illegal or none. Plain and simple. Its not how the individual drivers
feel , of course if ALL drivers feel that way then they should talk to
their MP , in that case it would become a law by majority.

regards
Billy