[Ubuntu-SG] Shoud we engage IPOS ? : Previously: Should we "Say No to Piracy"?

suhaw koh kohsuhaw at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 00:01:05 UTC 2009

Hi CDR,
Like I mentioned in my email yesterday evening, I am agreeable to not
joining HIP.  That was a good to have, but not essential.

The reason why this whole debate started was because of the Schools Project.
 If we want to go to any School, we will have to address a key concern of
theirs, namely that our Project promotes lawfulness among the student
participants.  We cannot hope to get any school to admit us if we are going
to tell their students to ignore IP laws.

And a key to achieving that is to get IPOS on our side.  If we can get IPOS
to give us their stamp of approval, the schools will not give us a hard time
on this issue.

Is there an alternative to IPOS ?  Yes, but not as desireable.  Find a
qualified lawyer to join this project and overcome FUD on the part of school
administrators and assure them that using Open Source software is not
illegal.  Then get this lawyer to conduct a session to the students on
what's legal and what's not.

How is the IPOS option preferable ?  First, IPOS is much more authoritative
than any lawyer on what is legal and what's not.  Schools can doubt a lawyer
but not IPOS.  Second, it is IPOS objective and role to promote IP laws
awareness anyway, so what we are asking them to do is very much in line with
what they want to do anyway.

I can understand why you may not want to join HIP because they are filled
with Open Source-unfriendly organisations.  But do you have any objection to
us engaging IPOS ?

Cheers.

suhaw