[Ubuntu-SG] Going back ontopic: Previously: Should we "Say No to Piracy"?

suhaw koh kohsuhaw at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 12:44:17 UTC 2009

Hi Tom,
I am very appreciative of the time you are taking to help me understand your
perspectives and position, just as I have done the same on my part.

It appears that we have some significantly different interpretations to a
number of developments, but it would not be helpful to digress into those
here as that would then bring us off-topic again.  They have nevertheless
helped me to understand your views better.

Instead, I wish to focus on issues that we agree on and then explore how we
can take our common interest further.

Like yourself, I agree that IP laws can be improved, even if we may disagree
on how much change is needed.  The question I have then is how should we go
about effecting a change in the IP laws ?

According to IPOS website: (http://www.ipos.gov.sg/topNav/abo/)
   "The *Intellectual Property Office of Singapore (IPOS)*, a statutory
board under the Ministry of Law since April 2001, is the lead government
agency that advises on and administers intellectual property (IP) laws,
promotes IP awareness and provides the infrastructure to facilitate the
development of IP in Singapore."

To be frank, I cannot see how we can hope to change IP laws without engaging
IPOS.

And I hope you agree that we have to engage IPOS in some way.  Pardon me if
I had jumped straight into the fire, but I proposed joining HIP because HIP
is "IPOS' flagship public awareness initiative".  If you are so against HIP,
I am willing to concede that we need not join HIP, but surely you have to
agree that we have to engage IPOS in some way, even if not HIP ?

I see many similarities in the aims of FOSS and Creative Commons (CC).  And
CC-SG had approached IPOS:

http://creativecommonssingapore.wordpress.com/2009/06/14/creative-commons-cited-on-ipos-website/

I feel that FOSS should similarly engage IPOS too.  Sure CC-SG had only
limited success, but it is only their first real contact with IPOS.  I
thought it was a very creditable start.

If you can agree that we need to engage IPOS in some fashion, we can then
discuss the form and extent that the engagement should be.

Cheers.

suhaw