[Ubuntu-SG] Should we "Say No to Piracy"?

John Thng johnthng83 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 14:31:02 UTC 2009

2009/6/22 Nick HS <nick at daenim.com>

>  On Monday 22,June,2009 07:06 PM, suhaw koh wrote:
>
> Hi Chew,
>  Many thanks for your input:  They are most instructive in this
> discussion.
>
>  Yes, I fully agree that there are many ambiguities in the law: Being very
> broadly worded, they may (or may not) cover many aspects.  And the truth is
> that nobody (even lawyers) can say for certain whether any specific thing is
> or is not covered until they are actually tested in the courts, ie somebody
> bring about a legal suit.
>
>  So, the only reliable guide we have as to what the law covers is based on
> the cases that have been decided in the courts.  Thus far, the courts have
> been quite reasonable.  For example, a strict reading of the law would
> define the buffer and RAM memory in computers as making illegal copies
> whenever a program is run, no court would every take such a nonsensical
> interpretation.
>
>  My point is simply that I propose we work on the assumption that the law
> is reasonable and where there are undesireable features of laws, we should
> work to helping the legislators/government iron out the kinks.
>
>  If we were to get bogged down by may/may-not questions, we will never get
> anything done.
>
>  And now for a little trivia regarding your point about "Perfectly legal
> things that TUSG do could be promoting Ubuntu, having release parties, open
> source education, etc." Check this out:
> http://www.elections.gov.sg/agc/presidentialSubLeg10.htm
>
>  :-)
>
>  Cheers.
>

>  suhaw
>

> 2009/6/22 chewearn <chew4097 at gmail.com>
>

>>  2009/6/22 suhaw koh <kohsuhaw at gmail.com>
>>
>>> Hi Chew,

>>>  Most laws are broadly worded as they cannot be expected to deal with
>>> every minute detail.

>>>  While circumvention of DVD access control may be illegal, we also know
>>> that there is also an express provision in Section 261C(10) allowing for
>>> import or sale of devices whose sole purpose is to control market
>>> segmentation for access to films e.g. multi-coded DVD player.
>>>

>> Sorry, I used the wrong words previously.
>>
>> What I meant by "access control" was of being able to read/play but not
>> copy a DVD; something which the CSS encryption (together with the copy bits
>> and DVD consortium licensing agreement) is meant to do.
>>
>> I did not mean "access control" with respect to the DVD region code.  I
>> agree that the Law has a specific exception to invalidate DVD region coding.

>>>  In that case, the very existence of TUSG would get us into trouble:
>>> Anything we may want to do can be considered as being detrimental to
>>> business.
>>>

>> Let's not "over-extrapolate".  I am referring to specific potentially
>> illegal circumvention packages, such as decss, win32codecs, etc. (note: I
>> emphasis the words "in this matter" to my previous reply above).

> [...]
For patents, software patents should not last so long. Patents has been
infecting the MP3 codec and others. There's no definite date when will MP3
codec be free.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3#Licensing_and_patent_issues

And do not confuse the term IP with others.
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/not-ipr.html

Regards
John