[Ubuntu-SG] Should we "Say No to Piracy"?

chewearn chew4097 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 09:11:42 UTC 2009

2009/6/22 suhaw koh <kohsuhaw at gmail.com>

> <edit>
>
> As for the more recent Nov 2008 DL article about Sim Lim raids that Chew
> quoted, they are specifically about modifying devices to circumvent access
> control measures, ie modifying the Wii machines to play pirated software.
>

> <edit>

My point is that the Law could be broadly worded, such that the "device"
could reasonably be applied to a Personal Computer.

In other word, the decss package *could* be considered illegal in Singapore
(just like in US), because it's enable circumvention of the DVD access
control.

My personal opinion: in practice, Singapore is a very pro-business country.
It is very likely that anything we do in this matter that would be
detrimental to "business" would get us into trouble.

Regards
Chew