[Ubuntu-SG] Starting a collection of tips for newbs for after they install jaunty...

Ravi Mohan faileas.greywolf at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 01:45:50 UTC 2009

C David Rigby wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 12:17 +0800, David Widder wrote:
>

>> If you live in Singapore, the default Bit-Torrent Client will not work
>> by default. Go to add/remove in the Applications menu, uncheck
>> “Transmission”, and tick “Deluge” and click apply, and you will have
>> uninstalled Transmission, and replaced it with Deluge, a great
>> Bit-Torrent that works well in Singapore.
>>

> Is this a recent development? I know that I've successfully used
> Transmission in the not-too-distant past...
>
> Regards
> C David Rigby
>

> Thats new to me too. Apparently torrents work better with protocol
> encryption, and i vaguely recall the last time i used transmission
> (which was a little while back), that was supported.In any case, least
> on starhub, it works to some extent, in my experience.

I found transmission worked for me too. Any client with protocol
encryption does well

As for actual ideas.. I'd suggest adding the medibuntu repositories and
installing, amongst other things the w32/64 codecs (course, there's the
whole licencing thing there). Even without it, medibuntu has quite a
few useful packages such as google earth, and is prolly worth it.

Wine is semi useful for people first making the transition from windows to linux, though it not being 100% is something that needs to be made clear

Other than that, i tend to install openssh server (for various reasons,port tunneling from a remote location for security - with putty on windows for example).