[Ubuntu-SG] Speaker Request for NUS SFD, 19 Sept 2008 @ NUS

C David Rigby c.david.rigby at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 01:46:35 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 9:24 AM, Thomas Goh <tomgohj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone is covering the history of OSS. Might be good to
> do a short intro.
>
> Cheer,Tom Goh

Also a possibility, but perhaps not having the same impact as stuff I could
demonstrate on my laptop(s). (I asked Richard, Raymond and Linus to drop by,
but they said they were too busy watching Seinfeld and Gates on Youtube.
(8-> )

I did consider "A brief history of GNU/Linux" but dragging along my computer
museum may be more than I can manage when transported by taxi.

BTW, does anyone know of a good place to by a hand truck or cart (I'm not
sure what the correct term is in Singapore)? Something I could stack my gear
on to wheel it back and forth. Two wheels, stands by itself, tip to roll,
popular with Aunties going shopping.

Cheers
CDR

> On Sep 15, 2008, at 9:18 AM, "C David Rigby" <c.david.rigby at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Good Morning TUSG,
>
> OK, because I'm sort of ornery (just ask my mother) my proposed
> presentation, to follow those of Chew and Heidir, is "FOSS is not just
> GNU/Linux!" What I'll cover, super-briefly:
>

>    - FOSS for Windows
>    - Other OSes (*BSDs, Minix; Open Solaris will already be covered by
>    Thanh Son most likely)
>    - Applications of the Free & Open Source concept to other domains
>    (biology and hardware, for example, but also Creative Commons).
>
> What do you think?
>
> CDR
>
> On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 11:02 AM, C David Rigby <<c.david.rigby at gmail.com>
> c.david.rigby at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello Chew,
>>
>> OK, I'll see what I can do by way of a presentation topic. It will need to
>> be something I can put together with minimal time expended, given the
>> impressive list of tasks I have still outstanding. I'll cogitate a bit and
>> then propose a topic to you and Heidir. Since you two have the Ubuntu
>> advocacy covered, I should focus on something more generally GNU/Linux,
>> don't you think?
>>
>> Cheers
>> CDR
>>

>> On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Chew EK < <chew4097 at gmail.com>
>> chew4097 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> hi CDR
>>> At the moment, we have the following presentation topics:
>>> 1. Why Ubuntu?  About the Ubuntu way.  >> Chew
>>> 2. Introduction to Ubuntu desktop and applications.  >> Heider
>>> 3. Compiz Fusion demo.  >> Chew