[Ubuntu-SG] TUSG - Meeting 2 - 22 August 2008

Muhammad Heidir Abd M dave33bravo at yahoo.com.sg
Thu Aug 21 12:46:06 UTC 2008

Hi suhaw,

You could have emailed me informing that you couldn't contribute to Ubuntu.sg. Seem to me that Billy is busy with something, so he is not able to look after all issue. I hope you understand. You can always look for me or email me. I am online everyday. I will look into your account and promote to Author like I did for Chew when he emailed me.

In the last meeting, we had a discussion about our motive. Yes, this event tempts us. We should take advantage of it. That is why I called for a meeting to discuss about Software Freedom Day and our mission. It is important for you to understand that this was our first meeting, and we still had to get to know each other. Ubuntu.sg has been very lifeless till now. Let's not go into deeper issues yet. The main issue at hand now is discuss our purpose for our participation and and take part in this activity which is provided for us. This could be our first event together and the first milestone. Sure there'll be hiccups here and there, but we can work as a team.

Since nobody is discussing about our mission, let me take the first step in laying down the foundation.

Team Ubuntu Singapore Mission - Promote the use of Ubuntu to the consumer

Reason behind this mission: Red Hat and Novell are enterprise centric distributors. Ubuntu is more associated for consumer. LUGS and SLMG are more into general Linux stuffs. I see that there is a gap in the consumer sector. It is best that we seal the gap and promote Ubuntu to the consumer as an alternative.

Ways to capture the consumer market
1) Consumer will look at the interface and compare between Microsoft Windows and Apple Mac OSX. This is where Ubuntu is able to accomodate both. It has a highly configurable desktop to look like either. Why? Not because Ubuntu does not have its own identity, but will appeal more to the consumer because of catchy interface and similarities.

2) Demonstrate the alternative to Windows and Mac OSX applications. Most notably Adobe Photoshop, Corel Draw, Microsoft Office, Mozilla Firefox and Outlook. Show them that all these expensive software is available for free using Open Source Software as an alternative.

3) Sell Ubuntu mechandise to the consumer. Purpose? The more Ubuntu T-Shirts and Caps on the streets, the more people will notice and be interested to know what Ubuntu is, what it does and its appeal.

Sure we can go on and on debating on the mailing-list. I lay down my cards for you. I believe we could achieve something. I'm doing all I can to help this flailing community.

Feel free to add on to the mission, but what is important is action.

Best Regards,
Heidir