[Ubuntu-SG] TUSG - Meeting 2 - 22 August 2008

suhaw koh kohsuhaw at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 12:04:24 UTC 2008

Sorry, looks like you gotta count me out this time round.  I won't be able
to meet up on any of the 3 proposed days.

Permit me to express my opinion about SFD and the mission in this email.

Manning a booth at SFD is tempting, no doubt.  But I ask what is the purpose
of it and what do we hope to achieve.  Sure it will give the team some
publicity, but what do you want people to know about the team ?  If we still
don't know what we want, what is the point of publicity ?

After we are more certain of what we want to do, I am sure there are many
opportunities to profile ourselves.  At least at that time, we will have
something of interest to say.  For SFD, all we can say is hi we are here,
but don't ask us what we do or what we want.

As for giving out giving out CD-ROMs, anybody can do that.  We can do it in
our individual capacities, no need to involve the team.

Imho, it is important for the team to project a consistent image.  We cannot
afford to spread ourselves too thinly.  We need to pin down what we want to
achieve and then be focussed about getting that done.  Let's choose one or
two projects which we can do and then put our minds to getting them done
well.

If we blindly charge at anything interesting that comes our way, we are then
no better than the spanish bull charging at the swirling metador's red cape.

At our meeting last Friday, we talked about developing a Singapore-centric
online linux resource and using WordPress to get the discussion going.  I
have registered for the blogsite some time ago and till today, I still
cannot post on it.  If we cannot get such a simple thing going, why are we
getting ourselves distracted ?

Cheers.

suhaw

2008/8/21 Muhammad Heidir Abd M <dave33bravo at yahoo.com.sg>

> I think we should discuss about our mission first. This will help us during
> our participation for SFD. Many people will likely ask who are we, what do
> we do and what we hope to achieve. A short and convincing answer will be
> good.
>
> Chew, could you try contact Canonical? Tell them about this event, the
> first in Singapore and Red Hat and Novell are taking part. Hopefully
> Canonical would like to participate and we will be happy to present for
> them.
>
> Meeting Update:
> Friday = 1
> Sunday = 1
> Tuesday = 1
>
> Meeting Agenda:
> 1) Software Freedom Day Singapore 2008 Discussion and Mission
>
> We need more people to be present for the meeting and discuss about this
> event.
>
> Regards,
> Heidir

Koh Su Haw 许树浩