[Ubuntu-SG] Trademark issue -> Back!

Maung Myat Thu @ Billy Aung Myint billy at ubuntu.sg
Wed Aug 20 01:09:47 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 08:41 +0800, Nicholas Ng wrote:
> Yeah. Ubuntu SG must first be the official LoCo team in order to have
> the free hosting from Canonical.
>
> Btw, I would like to inform you that the ubuntu.sg domain may raised
> [1] trademark issue with Canonical as stated in their trademark
> policy. I raised this up is because [2] Ubuntu MY also facing the same
> problem by having ubuntu.com.my (also ubuntu.org.my) as their main
> domain. I did e-mail the issue to Canonical <trademarks at ubuntu.com>
> and their feedback is to get our LoCo team official. They will
> probably won't sue us except if we breach their policy or code of
> conduct.

Ubuntu.com.my looks ... like the actual ubuntu.com page ... is it done
by Canonical or by Ubuntu Malaysia , If I were canonical , I would ask
them to bring it down. It would probably be confused with the main
ubuntu website. Thats where most of the trademark issues comes in.

Also pls take note that ubuntu.com.my is a commercial cc-tld for .my.
Ubuntu.sg is a generic cc-tld for Singapore since there is also .com.sg.
So I doubt Canonical will come after us. If anyone thinks ubuntu.sg is a
company with a wordpress blog then I have a bridge to sell them.

Of course we would like to be a approved team and are trying hard.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoGettingApproved

Resources - you should have a mailing list set up, IRC channel on
Freenode and have some wiki pages set up on http://wiki.ubuntu.com/.
More details on setting these resources up can be found in
LoCoTeamHowto.

We got irc channel but nobody uses.

  * Membership - Do you have members in your group? Are the mailing list
    and IRC channel resources active?

Mailing list yes , IRC no

  * Roadmap - Do you have an idea of what you want to achieve and which
    projects the group should work on?

Sort of. We havn't started any major projects. SFD is one we are going
for this year. In fact , we just had a first meeting not so long ago.

  * Experience - What have you done so far? Have you done any advocacy,
    translations, exhibitions, support or other activities? We recommend
    you have done at least three activities before you apply for
    approval.

Nope , Nope and Nope. SFD08 will be the first one.

As for ubuntu-sg.org , I noticed it has been registered by canonical so
once we get the approval , we should get it.

regards
billy