[Ubuntu-SG] [Bulk] Re: [Fwd: [Bulk] [Singapore Ubuntu Team] Comment: "10 Reasons Why Ubuntu Linux is Better Than Microsoft Windows OS"]

John Thng johnthng83 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 07:09:16 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Maung Myat Thu @ Billy Aung Myint <
billy at ubuntu.sg> wrote:

> Just a note , I would suggest that you do not reply to him at all.
>
> Here is why , he only attack your examples , not the philosophy of the
> FOSS.
>
> 4. Ubuntu Linux can be customised to look like Mac OSX Leopard or Aero
> Vista
> Ubuntu Linux is highly configurable
>
> The first line specifically said Linux is highly configurable. Making
> Linux to look like OSX or Vista are just examples. Yet he attacked at
> your examples and not the main point which is that Linux highly
> configurable.
>
> If he think Windows is also highly configurable , he would have said it
> along with his desktop screenshot to prove it (windows can be made to
> look like OSX with programs like windows blind , so technically windows
> is also configurable , not highly though).
>
> The same thing goes for all his attacks such as ipods , itunes ( which
> are apple products LOL ) and how Ubuntu hogs RAM on one specific
> instance. I can name so many instances of windows BSOD on MRT TV screens
> its not even funny anymore. In fact , if there is a MRT breakdown in
> Singapore , its more likely to be system error than terrorists.
>
> So don't feed this troll and don't go so low at his level. Linux has
> problems , nobody said linux is problem free , thats not why he is not
> loving Linux. Its probably because of his own incompetence which shows
> in his own logic.
>
> regards
> billy
>
> On Sun, 2008-08-17 at 22:53 +0800, Muhammad Heidir wrote:
> > Hi Rykel,
> >
> > Thank you for your quick reply. I'll write an email to the user. I
> > don't think I should delete it, let's wait for a few more days and let
> > more people read about his comments. Do you think that is ok?
> >
> > Anyway, we had a great meeting last Friday, but we still need to sort
> > out some more issues on focusing our limited resource. Total of 5 of
> > us came for the meeting, John, Billy, Su Haw, (I can't remember his
> > name, but I think) Chen Xiangpeng and me (Heidir). We discussed about
> > changing the name Singapore Ubuntu Team to Team Ubuntu Singapore,
> > provide more content on Ubuntu.sg, and have a facelift with the new
> > contents, and focus our resources on what to achieve and identity that
> > we want to place in the OSS scene in Singapore.
> >
> > Need your guidance on the email which I will sent to the user. Here is
> > the suggested content:
> >
> > Hi bjb_nyj101,
> >
> > Thank you for your comments. May I suggest to you that your argument
> > be placed on other Linux website which has a forum and a proper
> > channel for debates? This website is specifically to PROMOTE Linux
> > within Singapore. I have also added notes stating that this views are
> > not general views, is not comprehensive and compared against Ubuntu
> > 8.04 LTS - Hardy Heron version. There are other Linux distributions
> > available on the Internet and can work better than Ubuntu.

> [...]

Just archive and delete his comments.
Next time if anyone see, just don't bother and waste time.
Delete comments like that straight away, we have better things to do.
Like billy had said, his own incompetence on linux is shown clearly with his
examples.
With no proof, one can say anything out of air.
User problem and not OS problem.
And most of the problems can be solved by culture and third party companies.

Notice that he got nothing to say about these points below despite being a
windows pro user I guess.
*1. Ubuntu Linux has fewer security issues and viruses
**5. Ubuntu Linux comes with productivity tools pre-installed
**8. Ubuntu Linux software repository contains a massive collection of
software, free
**9. Personal settings and files and unlimited updates
**10. Ubuntu Linux is Free! (as in beer)

Thanks to him, we can focus on these points more than other points in my
opinion.

Regards
John
*