[Ubuntu-SG] [Bulk] Re: [Fwd: [Bulk] [Singapore Ubuntu Team] Comment: "10 Reasons Why Ubuntu Linux is Better Than Microsoft Windows OS"]

John Thng johnthng83 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 03:39:29 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 10:53 PM, Muhammad Heidir
<dave33bravo at yahoo.com.sg>wrote:

>  Hi Rykel,
>
> Thank you for your quick reply. I'll write an email to the user. I don't
> think I should delete it, let's wait for a few more days and let more people
> read about his comments. Do you think that is ok?
>
> Anyway, we had a great meeting last Friday, but we still need to sort out
> some more issues on focusing our limited resource. Total of 5 of us came for
> the meeting, John, Billy, Su Haw, (I can't remember his name, but I think)
> Chen Xiangpeng and me (Heidir). We discussed about changing the name
> Singapore Ubuntu Team to Team Ubuntu Singapore, provide more content on
> Ubuntu.sg, and have a facelift with the new contents, and focus our
> resources on what to achieve and identity that we want to place in the OSS
> scene in Singapore.
>
> Need your guidance on the email which I will sent to the user. Here is the
> suggested content:
>
> *Hi **bjb_nyj101**,*
>
> *Thank you for your comments. May I suggest to you that your argument be
> placed on other Linux website which has a forum and a proper channel for
> debates? This website is specifically to PROMOTE Linux within Singapore. I
> have also added notes stating that this views are not general views, is not
> comprehensive and compared against Ubuntu 8.04 LTS - Hardy Heron version.
> There are other Linux distributions available on the Internet and can work
> better than Ubuntu.*
>
> Best Regards,
> Heidir
>
> On Sun, 2008-08-17 at 22:17 +0800, Rykel™ (Aen™) wrote:
>
> This is definitely a legitimate user's feedback, from what I see. However,
> he/she is also a potential troublemaker who believes that Linux owes him/her
> a living and I sense that his/her spirit is argumentative, which then turns
> a real feedback into a flame.
>
> My suggestion is to just delete it for now and write a private note to
> him/her that we are here to PROMOTE Linux, not debate Linux. There are other
> places on the net for those issues.
>
> Having said that, it is critical that you and I take note of these things
> and if you have programming experience, to contribute solutions to the
> upstream if possible.
>
> btw, I met Firdaz from the OSCC Malaysia over the weekend! (Thanks
> Nicholas)
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Rykel™
> +65 8400 2102 (Singapore)

It's good to archive it the troll comment somewhere with some good replied
comments, and close it. Deleting is both good and bad somehow.

My answers to troll is here.

Anyway don't post it out.

1. Certain windows can run. But those windows can only be bought with new
low-end systems and not for existing low-end systems. It is not normally the
windows that cause the windows to perform slower, it's usually those
accompanying software that is essential that hog the system, example like
antivirus. And you might not run as well.

2. It might be due to the misconfiguration of your virtual box. Anyway,
please suggest your settings and bug report if you are sure it is not a
misconfigured settings. And virtual box is third party application, and not
officially supported by ubuntu. Please refer to Sun Microsystems instead.
They might tell you the answer, and perhaps the best system for virtual box
might be OpenSolaris, since it came from Sun now. There are ways to close
your application and you are not resorted to use the hard reset.

3. Just like Windows users trying to look like Mac Users, it is of self
preference. Nothing much to be said depending on taste.

4. Silverlight is made by Microsoft. And Novell is coming out a version for
Linux called Moonlight. Please send your feedbacks to Microsoft or Novell to
ask them synchonise their application for all the platforms. Currently flash
is widely used, and Adobe Flash has released beta versions of Flash 10 for
Linux simultaneously with other systems. Since Adobe can do it, Microsoft
also can do it too.

5. In Ubuntu there is a choice of players. You are not restricted to using
iTunes only. And you can use any players you like. iTunes force you to use
it not better you like it or not. So does this make iTunes likable for all?

Regards
John