[Ubuntu-SG] [Bulk] Re: South-East Asian FOSS Collaboration

Chen Xiangpeng xp at xp.sg
Wed Aug 13 01:30:08 UTC 2008

I think proprietary software adoption is a vicious cycle.

You train students in school (especially local polytechnics) to use
proprietary software to equip them with "skills" to enable them to find a
job in their respective industry. The reason why such training giving is
that the industry demands them. Why does the industry demand them? It's
probably due to 3 reasons:

1. Proprietary Software is better in that industry.(Think Adobe Photoshop)
2. Strong lobbying by the proprietary software makers. (Microsoft anyone?)
3. Industry is deeply ingrained in use of the proprietary software.

The education syllabus in Singapore is more or less steered by the
industry's requirements. As John mentioned, Singaporeans are a practical
lot. A few years ago, most local companies running IIS switched to Apache
not because of Free Software principles, but due to the fact that IIS
happened to be wacked left, right and center by the Code-Red worm while
Apache is unaffected. For the same reasons, most companies that run Linux
adopted it because of the low cost and relatively higher security than
Windows and not for the Free Software principles. I honestly think that this
isn't going to change anytime soon.

I don't think we need to resort to "catching" people for using pirated
software. There is already enough campaigning done by the IPOS and
government on the issue of Intellectual Property(that's another issue for
another day). In Singapore, getting people to adopt free software is both
easy and difficult at the same time. We're a conformist society, just get
the government to endorse Free Software and we'll be well on our way to
becoming a Free Software society :P It's convincing the government that is
hard.

The model of FOSS development will actually evolve a product to the point
where it's technically and aesthetically superior to proprietary software.
But before that, convincing a pragmatic crowd will be hard.

Having said all that, you can attract people to desktop linux in 2 ways:

1. Appealing to the technical crowd
2. Appealing to the people who like cool and shiny stuff.

I've convinced more people to switch to Linux by showing them compiz fusion
than giving them a nice long lecture on the merits of free software and the
long history of how rms struggled to develop the GNU system till the
appearance of Linus Torvalds with his linux kernel. For this same reason, a
lot of the younger generation are switching to macs. Making Linux a cool and
pretty OS to run (and free, which REALLY appeals to Singaporeans) could be a
direction we can take.

XP