[Ubuntu-SG] [Bulk] Re: South-East Asian FOSS Collaboration

Muhammad Heidir dave33bravo at yahoo.com.sg
Mon Aug 11 13:13:32 BST 2008

Let's discuss about ways we can build up on our efforts to introduce
FOSS to the educational instructors. Conduct a free workshop? Approach
schools or MOE regarding our purpose? I hope we have educational
instructors subscribing this mailing list to enlighten us on this issue.
I am willing to volunteer my time to discuss personally on this issue.

The user base is there, we have to strengthen it. OpenOffice and Mozilla
Firefox is catching up, but we need to push it further towards the
non-user. I would say the adoption of Ubuntu is just the tip of the
iceberg, we could push it to the OO.org and Firefox userbase. Once they
are willing to adopt, the chain will just keep rolling.

About the paid support, I was referring more for the enterprise and
business organizations, where critical systems need to function
seamlessly and most importantly in business wide transactions. Though
Community help is available and sufficient, searching for the solution
takes time. Rather, have a professional support on standby is money well
spent. I'm not against free support, but some things are just not right
for differing situations. Its always an issue of freedom of choice. One
may like this solution, but the others prefer something else.

The article says "Paid Support Not Critical For Linux Adoption",
certainly that is true, again, it is up to the management to assess this
need. They can choose not to.

This is a great discussion.