[Ubuntu-SG] South-East Asian FOSS Collaboration

Nicholas Ng nbliang at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 17:58:22 UTC 2008

Hi guys,

Well, actually the problem occurred elsewhere including Malaysia.
Microsoft have been brainwashing our minds from the start when we have
"pirated" Windows, Office, etc. Those illegal software which we can
get for free (or with very cheap price) has made all of us addicted to
it and therefore most of us do not dare to try out other software or
operating systems (OSes) because we have been too dependent and "get
used to it".

In Malaysia, our FOSS adoptions mostly carried out and driven by FOSS
advocates, LUGs as well as other open source communities throughout
the country. These groups has been carry out various activities such
as meet up, talk, seminar, InstallFest, workshop, etc to public where
public can learn more about FOSS as well as know more about the
benefits of it.

In the last few years, Malaysia government has started to recognized
the important and benefits of FOSS and through the [1] Open Source
Competency Centre (OSCC) which is under the [2] Malaysian
Administrative Modernisation and Management Planning Unit (MAMPU), the
government started to push for the usage of FOSS and introduce the [3]
Malaysian Public Sector OSS Master Plan.

Sorry for the long introduction about Malaysia's FOSS. =P

Well, the collaboration between other LoCo teams or groups within the
region is very welcomed and we at Malaysia LoCo Team also discussed
about it and we have been contacting with the Indonesia LoCo Team to
exchange ideas, experiences and knowledge. I myself planned to meet
with the Indonesia Team last month while I was there but due to my
tight schedule the meeting has been cancelled.

I am currently on and off to Singapore (business trips) and maybe when
I was there, we can have a meet up just to chit chat and exchange
ideas. :) Look forward for better collaboration among us.

Thanks.

[1] http://oscc.org.my/
[2] http://www.mampu.gov.my/
[3] http://www.oscc.org.my/content/view/103/96/