[Ubuntu-SG] South-East Asian FOSS Collaboration

Muhammad Heidir dave33bravo at yahoo.com.sg
Sun Aug 10 12:14:36 UTC 2008

Hi Nicholas,

It will be certainly great if we could come up for a meeting. I'm sure
we can share ideas, experiences and plan about promoting FOSS adoption
in the region. This will bring great benefits to each other culturally
too.

I heard that Malaysia and Indonesia has a lot of FOSS users due to its
low-cost(..free) and can be tailored to different languages such as
Bahasa Malaysia and Bahasa Indonesia. My guess is, FOSS can be readily
accepted mainstream, its just a matter of time. I would like to know you
thoughts about this.

Whereas in Singapore, most of the companies here prefers Microsoft,
because they come pre-installed, and Microsoft provides support
including most of the Administrators are MCSE certified. The problem
starts at the educational level, where students are overly exposed to
Microsoft based Operating Systems and Applications. Due to this
familiarisation and training conducted on Microsoft products, naturally
they are more accustomed to use it. If only we could project to them the
benefits and advantage of using an Open systems, they will somehow
understand.

Anyway, I look forward to meeting with South-East Asians FOSS
enthusiasts!

Best Regards,
supervivid