[Ubuntu-SG] Ubuntu Users in Singapore

Chen Xiangpeng xp at xp.sg
Thu Aug 7 01:04:46 UTC 2008

Well, a point to note is that we're VERY FAR off from educating people about
free software principles. Singaporeans are pragmatic; If it's free(as in
beer, not speech) and good, they'll grab it. This is the reason Firefox is
popular; It's free from spyware, can block popups and ads and etc. More
often than not, it's the technical merits of an application that struck a
chord with Singaporeans.  The conformist(not just for software usage)
culture bred into the population is deeply ingrained and will need years to
correct.

I believe the domination of FOSS will come when we reach a certain critical
mass for adoption. I think even Firefox has yet to reach that mass. Though
our ultimate goal seems so far away, I don't think it has deterred anyone of
us from trying to push the general population towards the goal right? :)

Well, this debate has been going on forever, I do vaguely remember
discussing it with John the first time I met him :P