[Ubuntu-SG] Ubuntu Users in Singapore

John Thng johnthng83 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 17:19:52 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 12:17 AM, Muhammad Heidir
<dave33bravo at yahoo.com.sg>wrote:

>  Finally some life in the mailing list. Let's get to the discussion.
>
> Actually, seeing Ubuntu adoption is great, personally, I feel that the
> exposure that Singaporeans have towards Open Source Software barely makes a
> ripple. I agree that  Microsoft penetration rate is very high here, due to
> the fact that they want systems that just works. Even schools are using
> Microsoft Office extensively.
>
> I was hoping that with the new Office Open XML Document format which just
> recently got approved by ISO, there should be minimum compatibility issues,
> so that users are able to make a choice of using Microsoft Office or other
> office productivity suites that support the format.
>
> Somehow, or someway, there must be a way to inform the masses that, there
> are choices besides having to choose a single-vendor to provide a solution.
> Maybe distribution of information via flyers, like Microsoft did once to
> urge users to purchase genuine windows. Thing is, is it worth it? Are there
> any interested sponsors? Or we can combine and fork out a dollar or two.
> Besides flyers, The best way to start is by telling people about Open Source
> through personal blogs. I'm sure you guys have Multiply, Facebook or
> Friendster accounts? That's the best way to start. If we could just put in
> the effort, we could accomplish something in return.
> In this way, we can make something foreign be known, maybe even spike
> interest in getting to know more about free alternatives.
>
> Apart from being free, we are making people understand that piracy is as
> bad as stealing.
>
> Well, here are my suggestions, no need to compete with it. The main point
> is, if we help to promote, someday, people just might realize.
>
> Best Regards,
> supervivid
>
> On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 17:11 +0800, John Thng wrote:
>

>  We all want to see more ubuntu usage. So far I don't think much know how
> to promote even if the laptop do come with ubuntu. If you do have
> suggestion, let's hear about it.
>
> Vista is used widely in sales, because of the branded companies.
>
> And for your question below,
> >> Is there any way for the buyer to be able to choose the operating system
> they want other than Windows?
>
> Because not much people thought of other operating system than windows
> here. I can say, a lot of the people here learn windows from young to work
> and not other os ... And further more they depend a lot of windows software
>
> As for your last question below,
> >> Are there anyone interested to see a change in the adoption of Open
> Source Software in Singapore?
>
> The correct approach to help people adapt is to ask a lot to use those
> cross-platform open source apps on their windows first, not so extreme
> immediately switch to ubuntu to enjoy it.
>
> As for mindef they have mentioned linux last time but I dun think it's fast
> to deploy. Have to wait at least 2010 or 2012 then I think there's more news
> [...]

Open Source Software, which I believe in Singapore, more and more people are
supporting in certain area. One known popular Open Source App that here is
Firefox.

The new ISO Office Open XML format is a forced standard. Even Microsoft
don't include the ISO OOXML in its current Office suite. We might need to
use the next version of Office to have ISO OOXML. So the current Office 2007
OOXML is out of the question for real usage, we need to educate people about
this "trapped" format. We should encourage people to use ODF instead. And
also fortunately the next Service Pack for Office 2007 will have ODF
support.

Surely there will be compatibility issues, as Office 2007 is using the
thousand flaws OOXML that is not the ISO version. I believe initially you
thought that the Office 2007 is using the ISO OOXML but it is not, and might
not with this version.

Besides single vendor, people need to know if their existing data works with
the new solution. It is not as easy as abc.

There are open source companies here. But if you need sponsors, might need
proposals. There are blogs around for Linux, for example
http://planet.anomalistic.org/ , it's just they are not country-wide
mass-known like those on tv.

Rather than doing stuff independantly, we need concrete plan to execute
together, else here put a bit, there put a bit, and no one or seldom people
see.

Oh yes, I know there are people here who use pirated products on computers
especially home users. And too bad authorities didn't trace for that and
catch people at home using pirated products. Normally people would compare
their "pirated" software with Open Source Software that is Free.

And to talk about piracy, it comes to the philosophy part. As Open Source
Philosophy hardly focus on this as much as Free Software Foundation. We can
make use of the Freedom rules(which could actually classified proprietary
stuff as selfish) to promote stuff like Free and Open Source Software(FOSS).

Best Regards
John