[Ubuntu-SG] Ubuntu Users in Singapore

Chew EK chew4097 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 10:13:51 UTC 2008

To add to the discussion, I have three noteworthy experiences to share:

1. I recently bought an Asus eeePC.  I already researched the eeePC's
Xandros OS, and have decided to replace it with Ubuntu.  But before
purchase, I wanted to see how knowledgeable the sales person was about
Linux.  It came as no surprise that I was dissappointed about her lack of
knowledge.  In fact, while talking to the sales person, I noticed other
browsing customers were more interested in the Windows version.

2. I recently tried to edit a document in OpenOffice.  It was an old MS Word
file, and I no longer have Windows and MSOffice installed in anything.
Importing the document into OO resulted in a mess.  In the end, I resorted
to re-typing the entire document in native OO format (odt file).  Then, I
hit on another problem.  I couldn't send the odt file to anyone else.  I
have to send a converted pdf instead.  But some of the recipients need a MS
doc file, so I save a doc copy and send that.  Unfortunately, opening the
doc in MSOffice showed some differences in formatting.  I have to borrow a
friend's PC, and after many trial and errors, I finally got the odt and doc
to be exactly the same.

3. A while back, I started this social group in ubuntuforums: Kiasu Ubuntu
Users <http://ubuntuforums.org/group.php?groupid=167>.  Looking at the
posts, you can see I am mainly talking to myself over there, lol.

Gmail/Googletalk: chew4097 at gmail.com
MSN: chewek at hotmail.com