[Ubuntu-SG] update on the fairs and events for schools

Maung Myat Thu @ Billy Aung Myint billy at ubuntu.sg
Mon Apr 30 23:42:47 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 01 May 2007 01:41, Harris Ngan wrote:
> Hi,    Great news for all. Why don't we start posting on our website to
> attract attention. There is such an event and seeking volunteers (I guess
> we just have to confirm the date n time). Too bad that I can't attend but I
> will give whatsoever support that I can provide. Several things I was
> thinking of.

> 1) Why don't we join forces with the NUS Linux group? In that
> case, we create a greater presence as one and we can also ensure that we
> still go on with the event in the worst case that we have not enough
> manpower for just Ubuntu.

We will. I doubt we can be at the booth the whole day so at certain point of
times , they will help to help us.

> 2) I think we can start getting a poster/flyer.
> Maybe XP can give more ideas in this :P my thought is that the poster can
> eventually become a very nice wall paper/screensaver that I will not might
> sticking to but of course that's just my suggestion.
> 3) Billy, I think we
> also need to check on the venue. Some venues attract alot of people and I
> think we can always request more CD/DVD than needed for the event as we can
> always give out the stock via our website. Matriculation fair usually
> attract the general cohort (meaning from all faculty) so it can be really a
> large crowd over possibly a couple of days.

I will check on the venue. I might as well add the NUS contact person to the
list but I think they are having exams so won't be free till june I think.

> 4) Printing: I can't remember
> but I think a $100 should be enough to print quite a number. I remember I
> printed mine last time at queensway (years back) but now I m really out.

Queensway then. As soon as we get the designs.

> 5) > Funding: How do we go about getting the necessary budget? Donation?

We probably have to meet in person and ask for some cash. Total cost roughly
is about $200 so about 20/person from 10 people should do the trick. More
people the better of course :P

> 6) What
> matriculation fair usually will be is that there are stores selling cheap
> clothes, CD, books, etc. Do we find some sponsors to provide some computer
> accessories to give out or sell at dirt cheap price? I m thinking that if
> we can sell something as well, we might be able to cover part of our budget
> with the profit.

Those kinds of sponsorships are not that easy. We are not a registered
organisation like LUGS after all. Sop that idea would have to be shelved till
we get bigger. Of course we can always try :P

> 7) Hehe. Not to forget the penguin. I think it will attract
> the crowd and hmm getting alot of photo shots. Possible get someone to use
> GIMP to edit these photos and sell them as in a photo printing service
> that use LINUX softwares.

That was a volunteer who was tall , about 1.9 and well weighty. The suit is
super hot and heavy. He looked like he just came out of the swimming pool
when he took off the penguin suit after 4 hours or so.. I was surprised he
didn't faint. So yah that suit is dangerous.

> 8) Make sure if there is a demo machine. Make sure
> you show the people that you can basically use any network services
> provided in NUS, e.g. wireless, shared folder, etc. I can't really know
> what services they have now but I think the NUS linux group will probably
> know.Just some of the many ideas.

There should be at least one laptop. We will just have to ask NUS team for
one. Of course they get the T-shirts and CDs for that. Thanks for the ideas
Harris. You been a great help. Thanks!

regards
billy