[Ubuntu-SG] Laptop Qns

Mark Philip markjohnphilip at yahoo.com.sg
Wed Oct 18 12:06:40 UTC 2006

Kerwin Khu wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> I always thought that was more of a "hardware" issue than a "software"
> (driver) issue.
>
> I had a Dell Latitude before that used a special key combination
> (Fn-F5 for that particular model, if I remember correctly) to toggle
> the display between the laptop's LCD and an external projector. Works
> the same way under both Windows and Linux. I was using Slackware at
> that time - I think it was like 4 years ago.
>
> Does one of the keys on your laptop's keyboard have a special symbol
> on it that looks like a monitor? That could be it. Or check your
> laptop's documentation...
>
> Come to think of it, laptops these days seem to connect automatically
> to a projector without user intervention. Is there some special driver
> that detects an external monitor/projector ?

Perhaps a 'PC' laptop would work better - I'm using an Apple PowerBook
G3 and these are all software-driven (either from Mac OS9 or OSX). Never
mind - this is just an old machine (will just use it as a spare machine
at home)...

My other machine is another PowerBook - a 12" G4 PowerPC 1.5GHz, but
that's running OSX exclusively - my wife uses it.., so I don't think
even that will work on projectors with XUnbuntu.

Thanks, though!
--
Best,
Mark.